Aug 29, 2011

Save the Date for baby Spencer - 04.03.12


So it's official. Patrick and I are expecting another little monster. For years I've had big annoucements and I always had to preface the annoucement with NO we are not Pregnant. But now I can officially say.

YES! WE ARE PREGNANT.

I told you that we weren't planning on expanding our family until we were both finished with school. Patrick finished last December and I finished on August 12th. So hence the soon to be addition to our family.

I decided to tell my mom by making that little save the date poster (pictured above), printing it and then putting it in a frame. I originally bought the frame (pictured above) to give to her but I liked it so much that I couldn't part ways with it. But she found out before I could go and buy a new frame. Let me explain.

I was planning on telling her and Katherine at the same time during mom's Birthday dinner. Her birthday was on a Wednesday but we had to wait a week and a half for a Saturday because of her schedule and Katherine's schedule.  On the Friday before the dinner mom came over to drop something off. I had the poster printed and in my purse. I ran upstairs to get something and Audrey pulled the poster out of my purse and handed it to my mom.  Then mom asked me what the date meant.

And that is how my mom found out. There was no pomp and circumstance like I had planned.  It was rather disappointing. Mom suggested that I call everyone that evening and tell them about it. I was thinking of waiting a little longer but she felt that it was important so I did. I called my dad, Michelle and Katherine. I was going to call some other people but ended up being on the phone with Michelle until really really late and called everyone else the next day.

For Katherine I was going to go and purchase a Cat toy and hand that to her in a baby shower bag. When I first told mom and Katherine about Audrey I bought a baby rattle and a bib that said "I love Grandma." Katherine opened the bag and had a bit of a panic attack and said "that's a cat toy...right?" It took her a few minutes to come to grips with the announcement. Don't get me wrong she was really excited about it. Just shocked.

I didn't get the chance to call my Grandma until Saturday morning. She was the first thing on my list of things to do. I called and told her the good news and she was really excited and very happy for us. Come to find out that mom spilled the beans to grandma the night before. BRAVO Grandma you fooled me into thinking you didn't know. BOOOO Mom.

Michelle just laughed and Dad and Veniece were at a Bowling Ally and they couldn't hear me very well. We didn't get to talk very long. But at least I was able to tell them.

Audrey seems excited about the new baby. But I don't think she quite understands whats happening. She keeps talking about how baby Gina (virginia, Michelles little girl) is going to be coming and living with us. I think it will make more sense when I have a belly and when it gets closer to the due date. The Hospital that I'll be delivering at has a class for older siblings. I'm thinking of taking her to the class when I get closer to the due date so she understands a little more about what is going to be happening.

It's been a good (not really) pregnancy so far but right now I feel like a really bad parent. I haven't spent much quality time with Audrey the last few weeks. I've been sick as a dog and I just haven't had any energy. About two weeks after I found out (I believe it was my 7th week) I got a really bad flu and wasn't just tossing my cookies because of morning sickness. I was really sick with a high fever and a horrible stomach bug and then when the flu/fever subsided I was left with a horrible cough that developed into Bronchitis and was on antibiotics that had nausea as a side affect. It was a miserable week and a half. I still have my bronchitis cough two weeks later. UGH.

Most evenings I'm in bed just hoping that the nauseousness subsides. It never does. But Audrey is a sweet little thing, during all of this mess, I'll tell her that I'm not feeling well and she'll come and give me a hug and sit with me. It's been really cute but still I feel bad that I'm not playing with her.

Well that's that. I don't normally do this but I'm wanting to know how did you guys tell family and friends about the new addition to your families? Did you do something fun or did you just call them up? I really am interested in knowing.

Oh, by the way, I'm 9 weeks today.

9 comments:

Carrie said...

I did a cute poem for mother's Day for my family and for Nate's I took a picture of His Mom with all her kids that were there, but instead of saying cheese I said I'm pregnant. Congrats again lady I'm so excited for you all.

Jen said...

YAY! I'm so excited for you!

Ashley said...

Congrats! That's exciting!

Ashley Welling said...

Congrats! I was actually thinking about you the other day. That is so exciting.

Katherine Griffin said...

new baby, new baby, new baby, yay!

Ellen Raquel said...

Congraaaaats honey!I'm sooo excited for you! Well, I told Hugo by giving him a cute baby outfit of his favorite soccer team, it was hilarious.I miss you! And hope you get well very soon. I got super sick at the beginning of my pregnancy and it was waaay horrible... Love u!

Stephanie said...

We called my parents and asked what two lines on a pregnancy test meant for Caden. They were 40 years old and not too excited to be Grandparents. They were happy, but not too excited. With Keilie we flat out told them. With number 3 pregnancy we had just got back from Maui around their birthday and gave them "birthday presents from Maui" that said, "I love my Grandpa/Grandma" With number 4 pregnancy we told them flat out. With Shelby we had a sign in our unfinished basement that said, "Deadline February 2" With Brennon we sent them a picture frame with the boy/girl name with the due date. With Tyson we told them flat out. We had a fun way to tell them it was a boy instead of the girl we thought he was. I love babies! Congratulations. I hope it's a boy!

Michelle Morgan said...

I love that it's due 2 days before our birthday.. I do feel bad tho.. we always always! had general conference weekend for our birthday. We never were able to do it then. :( so maybe it will be born a few days early to get the weekend before. I know I am lame to think about that. ha congrats!!!

Amy G said...

So sorry you were so sick :(

This baby was our first and only surprise, I took a test when I was out to get stomach meds. I had a photo appt to go to. On my way home, I bought a little baby girl dress for .25c from a garage sale.

Matthew was playing his Saturday morning football video game and I sat in front of him and demanded his attention. I held up the little dress and he said, "you spent money?!" I said, "I'm trying to tell you something." And he said, "I know - you want to have a girl next." I said, "I am pregnant!" ... then reality swept over his face. lol It was great.